Aging is inevitable, but this does not mean that you cannot look younger than your age. There are many beauty secrets that can cut years off your appearance, particularly your face. The sooner you begin following a healthy lifestyle and caring properly for your skin, the healthier your skin will be. Plus, it will delay signs of aging like fine lines, sagging skin, wrinkles, age spots and crow’s feet.
Here we list the secrets to taking off the years from your face and maintaining your youthful appearance!
1. Follow a Good Skin Care Regimen – Irrespective of your age, you need to follow a good skin care regimen for healthy skin. When your skin is healthy, it will not show early signs of aging.
- Cleanse your face daily with a gentle cleanser, both in the morning and at night. This will keep your skin clean, soft and free of pore-clogging debris. When buying a cleanser, avoid those with high alcohol content and other drying agents.
- Apply a good quality moisturizer over your entire face, neck, hands and legs twice daily. This will help prevent dry and aging skin.
- Exfoliate your skin once a week with a gentle facial scrub. This will encourage skin cell renewal, making your skin look younger. It will also help get rid of dead skin cells and keep your skin smooth, healthy, bright and fresh.
2. Choose Skin Care Products Wisely – Determine your skin type by analyzing your T-zone area and then choose suitable products to keep it healthy and young. Also, avoid using too many cosmetic products at the same time.
- When you are past your mid-20s, use products with retinol, peptides and antioxidants. Retinol promotes an increase of collagen and elastic production. Peptides can stimulate collagen production and cell repair to help you get younger-looking skin. Antioxidants will protect your skin from the sun and speed up the natural skin repair system.
If you have any doubts, you can always consult a dermatologist for help find the right products for your skin care needs.
3. Wear Sunscreen Everyday – Sunscreen is the ultimate anti-aging tool recommended by beauty experts. Be it summer, winter, autumn or rainy days, you must not leave your home without applying a good quality sunscreen on any exposed body parts. Too much exposure to the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays can damage your skin, particularly its elastin, and cause a loss of collagen. This in turn can lead to sun spots, wrinkles, an uneven tone, dryness, rough skin and sunburn. Apply an SPF 20 (or greater) sunscreen every day, even in the winter. For maximum anti-aging benefits, make sure to apply sunscreen on your ears, neck, legs and hands along with your face.
4. Get Your Beauty Sleep Daily – To stay looking young for years, get 7 to 8 hours of beauty sleep daily without fail. In fact, sleep is considered the most powerful rejuvenating treatment to maintain youthfulness. When you sleep, adrenaline and corticosteroid levels drop and the body starts to produce growth hormone. During this time, the repair and growth process of cells occurs. If you don’t get enough sleep, this function is impaired and leads to inflammation that causes many signs of aging like wrinkles, dull complexion and fines lines.
5. Exercise Daily – Exercise is good for your body and mind. Regular exercise improves blood flow and keeps your skin healthy and vibrant. It also regulates your hormones and promotes proper sleep. Do some sort of physical activity for 20 to 30 minutes daily. Activities that can help slow down the aging process are running, walking, dancing, cycling, gardening and even housework. Aerobic exercise classes and yoga also help a lot.
6. Eat Right - Healthy skin starts with healthy eating, so you need to think seriously about what you are eating on a daily basis. To slow down the aging process, follow these key tips.
- Include more antioxidant-rich foods in your diet. Antioxidants help increase cellular regeneration and protect collagen, thus keeping your skin firm and wrinkle-free.
- Ensure adequate intake of essential fatty acids, such as those found in flaxeed and fatty fish. These healthy fats help your skin function properly and aid in tissue repair. Plus, they help reduce inflammation in the body and improve mental health.
- Eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables and 3 servings of whole grains daily. This will provide protein, calcium, vitamin D, iron, zinc and other essential minerals that your body needs to function properly.
7. Stay Hydrated – Water is the foundation of young-looking skin, hence you need to drink an ample amount of water throughout the day. It helps keep your skin hydrated and moisturized, making it look younger and healthier. When you don’t drink enough water, your skin can become dry, dull and dehydrated, leading to issues like fine lines and wrinkles, and chapped lips. To stay hydrated, drink 8 to 10 glasses of water each day. Along with water, you can drink green tea, fruit juices and vegetables juices, or eat fruits and vegetables rich in water content.
8. Limit Alcohol Consumption – Alcohol is something that you must avoid or drink less as it accelerates the aging process and affects mineral absorption in the body. Plus, it makes your liver work harder to eliminate harmful toxins, which in turn makes your skin look dry and lifeless. For younger-looking skin, drink alcohol in moderation or, for maximum benefits, give up drinking entirely.
9. Stop Smoking – Smoking tarnishes your skin and makes you look older than your actual age. Cigarette smoke contains more than 4,000 harmful toxins. It can lead to dull skin, sagging skin, dark lips, wrinkles around the mouth and eyes, deep lines in the cheeks, dull hair and discolored nails. Considering the ill effects of smoking on your skin and general health, it is essential and best to quit smoking as soon as possible.
10. Give These Home Remedies A Try – We are huge fans of the easy-to-find beauty remedies in our kitchen. Here are a few that help keep our skin youthful!
- Coconut oil is the best natural skin care product for anti wrinkle treatment as it reduces fine lines and wrinkles and tighten sagging skin. Massage your face with coconut oil before going to bed for reducing skin wrinkles, for natural skin tightening and getting a facelift naturally.
- Potatoes have exceptional anti-aging properties for natural skincare. For removing blemish marks and dark pigments on the facial skin, you can rub raw potato slices over the area. Place two slices of potato on your eyes for ten minutes, to get rid of crow’s feet and under eye wrinkles.
- Almond oil helps to improve complexion, reduce fine lines and wrinkles apart from curing crow’s feet. Many of the best wrinkle creams contain almond oil as a key ingredient for reducing wrinkles and sagging skin.
- Egg white packs work well as skin tightening treatments and should be applied once every week.
- Application of honey on to the face will help you get rid of acne and also provides moisturizing anti-aging benefits as it locks the skin’s moisture in. Do this 2-3 times a week for best results.
- Vitamin C boosts collagen production in the skin, helps protect the skin against sun and free radical damages, and improves the appearance of fine lines and deep wrinkles. Vitamin C can be abundantly found in lemons, kiwis, oranges and Indian gooseberry.
Note: Please do not use any home remedy if you are allergic to it.
Leave us your thoughts and suggestions in the comments below!