Joey Tribbiani, our amazingly hot and adorably “slow” actor, was the resident comic in our favorite group of six. But there were times that Joey proved that he was more often than not, in his own words, the most “wisdomous” of the group. Here are 12 times Joey was the smart one and saved the day!
1. What are you talking about? One woman? That’s like saying there’s only one flavor of ice cream for you. Let me tell you something, Ross. There’s lots of flavors out there. There’s Rocky Road, and Cookie Dough, and Bing Cherry Vanilla. You could get them with jimmies, or nuts, or whipped cream. This is the best thing that ever happened to you. You got married, you were, what, eight? Welcome back to the world. Grab a spoon.
When Ross was depressed over his divorce with Carol, Joey came up with this fabulous pep talk. And we have to say, Joey was right. More than anything, Ross needed to loosen up and try being with women that were um, not same sex oriented.
2. Joey: [about Rachel’s assistant, Tag] If he doesn’t like you, then this is all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh. A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it’s like a cow’s opinion, you know, it just doesn’t matter. It’s “moo”.
Rachel wasn’t the only one to whom this new Tribianni phrase made sense. I think we can all agree that the old one wasn’t half as interesting as the new and improved edition launched by our numero uno dumb guy. Now we just have to replace the original in the dictionaries.
3. Chandler: You’re right. I have no excuses. I was totally over the line.
Joey Tribbiani: Over the line? You… you… you’re so far past the line that you can’t even see the line! The line is a dot to you!
One thing about Joey, he always respected the Bro Code and was probably the original Code Guru. Even though Chandler had loved Kathy, he had still been wrong to hide it from his best friend. Anybody who knows Joey can say that he would leave any girl for his bro, Chandler. Because we all know the Bro Code motto – bros before…
4. Joey: Never gonna happen. Because you waited too long to make your move and now you’re in the Friend Zone.
Ross: No, no, I’m not in the Friend Zone.
Joey: Ross, you’re Mayor of the Friend Zone.
Joey was probably one of the first people to acknowledge the Friend Zone. And no matter how much Ross denies it, Joey would never be wrong about such things, being the expert on hitting on girls. How you doin’?
5. Joey: You broke the Code!
Ross: What Code?
Joey: You don’t kiss your friend’s mom! Sister’s are okay. Maybe a hot looking aunt. But not mom! NEVER MOM!
Forth comes the protector of the Code – here to save the day again. Joey seems like the only person that respects the Code. What is wrong with Chandler and Ross, seriously?
6. Joey: “It made you feel good so that makes it selfish. Look, there are no unselfish good deeds. Sorry.”
This was the first time someone had ever left Phoebe retort-less. It was fun to watch Phoebe trying so desperately to prove that Joey was wrong and that there were unselfish good deeds but all her attempts were thwarted by his sly words.
7. Joey: “You mind if I turn the heat down?”
Joey: “The knob was broken…so I turned it off from underneath. I hope that’s all right.”
One of the many times when Joey proved that he was smarter than the other five was when they changed the theme of Monica’s Christmas party to a tropical party because they couldn’t turn down the heat. And then Joey swoops in like a boss and leaves the others in dumbfounded silence.
8. Rachel: “Just come by at lunch so my boss doesn’t see you. Kim will freak out. She doesn’t like me.”
Chandler: “That is weird. I don’t think my boss likes me.”
Monica: “I don’t think mine likes me either.”
Ross: “Maybe it’s a universal thing.”
Joey: “Or maybe because you’re all hanging around here at 11 :30 on a Wednesday.”
It took Joey no time to figure out the huge mystery of all the gang’s bosses hating them all. The other five are certainly not winning any ‘Employee of the Year’ awards.
9. Joey: “But it seems to me it’s pretty much like anything else. Face your fear. You have a fear of heights? Go to the top of the building. You have a fear of bugs? Get a bug! You have a fear of commitment? So I say you go in there and you be the most committed guy there ever was.”
Joey doesn’t give only great hooking up advice but also great relationship advice. Granted, Chandler used this to be committed to Janice (YUCK!), but we have to agree that this was one piece of useful advice.
10. Joey: “They have a kid together. They’re like a family. If there’s a chance they can make that work…I wouldn’t want to be the guy who stood in the way.”
Another bit of advice that Joey gave to Chandler regarding Janice. The amazing thing was, despite hating Janice, Joey never gave Chandler any biased opinions. Way to go, Joe.
11. Joey: “All right, well, I guess we know what we have to do to get down.”
Ross: “Help us! Please, help us! We’re stuck up on the roof, and we can’t get down!”
Joey: I was thinking we’d just go down the fire escape.”
We really must rethink who, in this group is the dumbest because the scales tip towards Ross sometimes. Joey, on the other hand, yet again used that quick wit of his.
12. Joey: “You’re gonna have to pee on it.”
Joey: “Don’t blame me. I saw it on the Discovery Channel.”
Joey was the one who saved Monica from the sting of the jelly fish. Granted, he couldn’t perform the act himself but hey, it was his idea wasn’t it? And we know that he had good intentions and if he had to, he’d pee on them all.
Hmm, now that we think about it… the dumb guy act was probably all really just an act, and Joey is actually the smartest! What do you think? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below!