The scorching summer heat is finally upon us and in an effort to keep our bodies amply hydrated, we turn our undivided attention toward cool, refreshing summer drinks… that might be our ultimate savior from midsummer dehydration! We at Style Aria decided, for the benefit of all tropical beings, to round up a list of 5 super-chill (literally) drinks that will help you cool off this season.
1. Fresh Lime Soda – Or better known to us as Nimbu Shikanji. This is one drink you’ll easily find anywhere on the Indian sub-continent. It’s also super easy to make – all you need to do is combine the lime juice, salt and sugar in a large jug and stir well until the sugar and salt dissolve. Add soda water and stir to combine. Serve it fresh with ice!
2. Jaljeera – This is an amazing drink that’s meant to thrill our taste buds, what with its refreshing tangy flavor. Here’s how to make it! Below is a list of ingredients.
1 tbsp seedless tamarind – for a pronounced more sourness, you can add ½ tbsp of more tamarind.
¾ cup mint leaves/pudina patta
1 or 1.5 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
1 tsp fennel seeds/saunf
½ tsp black pepper
½ or 1 tsp amchur/dry mango powder
seeds removed from 1 black cardamom (optional)
a pinch of asafoetida/hing (optional)
1 tbsp boondi
½ or 1 tsp chaat masala powder (optional)
black salt or rock salt as required
Rinse the mint leaves. Also rinse the tamarind ball. First blend all the ingredients except boondi and chaat masala in ½ or ¾ cup water till smooth. Then strain through a strainer and add 3-4 cups of chilled water to the strained mixture or as required. Keep in the fridge or serve chilled. You can add boondi and a pinch of chaat masala to jaljeera while serving.
3. Mango Panna – It’s a drink made from raw mangoes which is boiled and infused with some Indian spices to make more flavorful and appetizing. One of best remedies for sun stroke, Aam Panna is also a natural coolant for the body.
Roast carom seeds, fennel seeds and cumin seeds until lightly roasted. Now pound with a pestle and mortar until powdered.
Slice the raw mangoes into 2 to 3 pieces. Steam Or cook them in a pot with some water covering them until they get tender. Check with a knife if you are able to mash them. Alternatively you can also pressure cook for 2 whistles until they are cooked and tender.
Now scoop out the pulp with spoon and discard the peels. Grind the pulp with jaggery granules, mint leaves and 1 cup of water.
Strain the mixture with mesh strainer. Collect the liquid in a vessel. Combine black salt, powdered carom-cumin-fennel seeds, chaat masala, cardamom powder, black pepper powder and 1 cup of water. Give a nice whisk. Check the taste, alter if any spices required. Ideally it should taste equally tangy and sweet. Take ¼th of panna syrup and 1 cup water to make aam panna drink. Serve chilled in tall glassed with icecubes. Garnish with mint leaves. Store rest of the panna syrup in bottle into fridge, the shelf life of this syrup is 3-4 days.
4. Chhaachh or Chhaas (flavored buttermilk) – Buttermilk is an excellent drink for summer, seeing as how it is low-fat, refreshing and healthy as anything! Here’s how to make it!
1.5 cups curd/yogurt
½ tsp roasted cumin powder/bhuna jeera powder or add as required
1 cup water
5 to 6 small ice cubes
black salt/kala namak as required
a few coriander leaves or mint leaves for garnish
Take all the ingredients in a blender jar, except the coriander leaves. Just pulse the blender for some seconds till everything is blended well and the mixture becomes frothy. Pour chhaas in glasses. garnish with coriander leaves and serve it iced. You can also chill the butter milk in the refrigerator and serve later, but be sure to use it in the same day.
5. Lassi (sweet, savory or fruity!) – Lassi is a favorite summer drink in India. It is a traditional yogurt based beverage, which is served chilled, be it salty or sweet or even fruit-flavored. Below is an easy to follow recipe for the classic Indian Sweet Lassi!
½ cup Plain Yoghurt
1½ tablespoons sugar
½ cup ice water
Blend all ingredients in a blender on high speed until frothy. Serve immediately.
Leave us your thoughts in the comments below!