1. Monica and Chandler from FRIENDS – This was, without a doubt, the most epic, the most cheered on proposal in TV history, which left the viewers bawling like babies and laughing at the same time! Serious commitment-phobe Chandler thought he’d lost Monica to Richard and comes home thoroughly depressed… to find his lady love knelt down to propose. Then he kneels down too and holding back tears, Chandler tells his best friend, “You make me happier than I’d ever thought I would be. And if you let me, I will spend the rest of my life trying to make you feel the same way.”
2. When Harry Met Sally – Who could forget when Harry (Billy Crystal) finally admits he’s in love with Sally (Meg Ryan)? In the movie that made everyone question whether men and women can ever really just be friends, Harry realized he was in love with Sally while spending New Year’s Eve alone and raced to meet her before midnight because “when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” Swoon!
3. The Wedding Singer – Robbie (Adam Sandler) confesses his love for Julia (Drew Barrymore) by serenading her with a personalized song… as she’s aboard a flight to Las Vegas to marry her current (totally awful) fiancé. Sandler’s sweet “Grow Old With You” song has become a popular wedding song ever since the movie hit, and it’s no surprise why.
4. Love Actually – A language barrier couldn’t keep these two apart — while recovering from a broken heart at his French cottage, Jamie (Colin Firth) falls for Portuguese housekeeper Aurélia (Lúcia Moniz), who only speaks her native tongue. After Jamie returns to England, he begins learning Portuguese and later returns to France to find Aurélia. Using his new knowledge, he proposes to her in Portuguese — and then she responds in English, which she has been secretly learning for his sake!
5. Dil Chahta Hai – This movie not only showed us the value of Goa as a tourism spot but also how to propose in style. Aakash, the guy who uses the entire movie to tell you what an awful thing falling in love can be, goes down on his knees and proposes to Shalini at her wedding to another man. And not just that, he uses the same swoon-worthy speech he did when they first met. There’s a reason this movie has cult status.
6. Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani – Kabira maan gaya. Nothing is more adorable than the ultimate commitment-phobe offering marriage, the big daddy of all commitments, on a platter. Or in this case, a little blue box with a toffee inside. So much”aww”…
7. Pride and Prejudice – A timeless love story that proves there’s a thin line between love and hate, Elizabeth (Keira Knightley) instantly dislikes Mr. Darcy (Matthew Macfadyen) upon meeting him and swears to “loathe him for all eternity.” Eventually, the two do fall in love, and he successfully proposes to her on the moor at dawn: “You have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on.” (insides turned to jelly!)
8. The Proposal – This “romance” between boss and assistant begins as an ill-fated attempt for Margaret (Sandra Bullock) to avoid deportation… but then the two actually start to fall for each other. As Margaret is preparing to leave the country, Andrew (Ryan Reynolds) barges into the workplace to confess his love and propose for real: “Marry me… because I’d like to date you.” So many feels! But we absolutely love the fake proposal at the beginning where Andrew makes Margaret kneel down in a Manhattan street (in high heels, no less!).
9. The Notebook – This might be one of the most argumentative proposals ever, but it’s also one of the romantic. Which has NOTHING to do with the fact Ryan Gosling is involved, we swear! “It’s not going to be easy, it’s going to be really hard and we’re going to have to work at this every day. But I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, you and me every day.”
10. Mujhse Fraandship Karoge – Bollywood’s fresh take on social media fueled romance had one of the best proposal scenes we’ve seen in a long time. Saqib Saleem goes down on a knee and spouts hilarious shayari “Mere dil, jigar, liver mein ho tum … waqt bewaqt aaye woh fever ho tum … ab toh meri life mein forever ho tum”.
11. He’s Just Not That Into You – Ben Affleck’s character moves back in with Jennifer Aniston and asks her to check the pockets of his run down pants before she throws them out. What does she find in the pocket? That’s right, a ring! She turns around to find him on his knees, proposing.
12. Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara – Katrina doesn’t speak a word while proposing to Hrithik in this movie. She just chases him on a bike, looking cool as hell, walks up to him and just kisses him! Best proposal ever.
13. Jab We Met – The incorrigibly chirpy chatterbox that is Geet realizes she loves Aditya at the last moment (just when he is about to leave). She races to him and plants a solid one on him when she is sure her idiot of an ex is looking (re-enacting the exact scene she had played out earlier in the movie to rid herself of Manjeet).
14. Mohabbatein – Shahrukh’s patta proposal to Aishwarya is one of the most romantic love declarations in Bollywood.
15. Pretty Woman – Richard Gere arrives in a car, hanging out of the sun roof with flowers in one hand and an umbrella in the other and shouts for “Princess Vivien” (Julia Roberts) to come down. He then declares his love atop the fire escape while an opera song plays in the background!