Pollution, harmful rays and constant weather changes wreak havoc on the skin and make the skin dry and sensitive. When skin becomes dehydrated, it loses its flexibility and becomes cracked, scaly and sometimes itchy.
Dry air is the most common reason for dry skin, especially during winter. Dry air strips moisture from the skin and leaves the skin dull and lifeless. Low temperature, low humidity and strong and harsh winds worsen the skin condition. Prolonged exposure to water especially hot water is also a common reason for dry skin. Hot water washes away the natural oils that protect and tighten the skin and dries out the skin. Water deficiency is also a common cause of dry skin as it leads to dehydration of skin.
But there is an easier way to treat dry, flaky skin than those over the counter, chemical laden beauty products that tend to burn a hole in your pockets. Just follow these simple yet effective recipes to create your own home remedies and say goodbye to dry skin!
1. Olive oil contains many antioxidants and healthy fatty acids that are good for your skin. It can soothe and condition dry skin all over your body. Mix equal amounts of olive oil and fine brown sugar. Rub this homemade scrub on your dry skin using light, circular motions for a few minutes. Take a shower and then apply a light moisturizer.
2. The lactic acid present in milk cream helps exfoliate dry skin. The soothing nature of milk cream also helps preserve the skin’s delicate pH levels. Milk cream is also an excellent moisturizer. Add enough milk cream to three to four tablespoons of gram flour to make a thick paste. Apply the paste on your face, hands and legs. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this once daily. You can also make this excellent, super-moisturizing body scrub using milk cream (click the link for the recipe!).
3. Honey is considered one of the best natural moisturizers loaded with antioxidant, antimicrobial properties. Thus, it helps lock in moisture to make your skin extra soft and smooth. Plus, honey has many essential vitamins and minerals that help improve your skin’s health. Take 1 teaspoon of honey and mix it with 1 teaspoon of rose water and apply on face and neck. This face pack will cleanse the skin, tone it and make the skin glowing. This is one of the most useful remedies for dry skin.
4. Yogurt is an excellent skin-hydrating agent. Plus, its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties help soothe dry and itchy skin. Also, its lactic acid content helps get rid of any germs or bacteria that may cause dryness or itchiness. Mix one-half cup of yogurt and three tablespoons of mashed papaya. Stir in a few drops each of honey and lemon juice. Apply it on your skin and leave it on for 10 minutes before washing it off with cold water. Do this treatment once a week.
5. Coconut oil is really good for treating dry skin and it also helps fade away dark spots or any kind of skin marks. It has a good amount of fatty acids that make up for any loss of moisture from the skin. Liberally apply warm coconut oil all over your body before going to sleep. Wash it off in the morning. Do this daily to make your skin soft and smooth.
6. Bananas can also be used as a dry skin home remedy. Just mash 1 ripe banana and apply it like a face pack as is or you can mix in a teaspoon of honey. Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash off. Not just banana, but banana peels also contains a number of elements that are good for the skin. The peel contains a good amount of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins which contribute to the wellbeing of the skin. Rubbing banana peel on the dry skin surface will relieve skin inflammation and recover the softness and smoothness of the skin.
7. Soak a few almonds overnight, peel the skin and grind to a fine paste. Add 2 teaspoons of raw milk, 1 teaspoon of gram flour and a few drops of lemon juice to this paste. Apply this face pack on the face and leave it for 20 minutes. Then wash off the paste while gently massaging the skin with lukewarm water. This will not only relieve dry skin but will also improve the skin tone. Almond oil is also an excellent source of vitamin E and, hence, is considered the best emollient and lubricator for dry skin. Also, its antioxidant property is good for your skin’s overall health. Drink a glass of warm milk mixed with one teaspoon of almond oil before going to bed. Repeat every night to enjoy healthier skin as well as sound sleep.
Note: Do NOT use any ingredient or its by-product if you are allergic to it. It is always best to test a small patch of skin if you are trying out a home remedy for the first time. Consult a doctor immediately in case of irritation.