Only people with sebaceous glands working overtime to produce that extra layer of sheen can truly understand the problems of having an oily skin! Your pores will be too large, your face sticky within an hour of washing it, dirt will lodge itself into the too-large pores, and acne will breakout anytime it feels like screwing up your life.
Look on the bright side though! Oily skin tends to age better and develop fewer wrinkles than dry or normal skin. But it does require more attention, since you need to keep cleansing those overproductive pores. The key is a firm but gentle hand. You want to wash away dead skin cells, dirt, and excess oil without scrubbing so hard that you cause irritation. (Ironically, if you overdo the scrubbing, your skin produces even more oil.)
Here we share with you our prized recipes of home remedies that work wonders for people with oily, acne-prone skin!
1. Egg White – Whip up an egg white and apply all over the face. Keep for 20 minutes till it dries and wash off with warm water. Repeat on alternate days.
2. Lemon Juice – Apply freshly squeezed lemon juice as is with a cotton ball daily. It works as an excellent astringent! You can also mix it in face packs as it lightens the skin tone and reduces blemishes. To make your very own all natural toner, mix together lemon juice and cucumber juice in equal parts and apply all over face with a cotton ball everyday.
3. Tomatoes – Tomatoes are great miracle workers for oily skin, as they take away excess oil while restoring the skin’s natural pH balance. Cut a small tomato in half and rub one half on your face. Keep for 15 minutes before washing it off with cold water. Do this once everyday for clear, shine free skin!
4. Strawberry & Yogurt Mask – Mix crushed strawberries and yogurt in a blender until they make a smooth paste. Spread this paste evenly on your face and leave it on for 20-25 minutes. Wash off using cold water and pat dry. This treatment once every week will make your skin supple and oil-free.
5. Fuller’s Earth – Multani mitti or fuller’s earth is the perfect face mask for oily skin as it soaks up excess sebum. Use on alternate days to reduce the unwanted shine from your pretty faces!
Remember to always be gentle with your skin, and cut back on fried or oily foods. Your diet always reflects in the glow on your face. Also, make sure to never wash your face with too warm or hot water. Warm to hot water might take away the excess oil, but it also opens up the pores even more, and you don’t need that. Washing one’s face with cold water (even in the winters, yes!) reduces the size of the pores and gets the blood circulation going in the face, and that’s always a good thing. And lastly, keep a pack of wet face wipes in your bag at all times in case you need to get rid of the excess annoying layer of sheen and you are in a hurry! Those babies are real life savers in a crunch. We recommend Oriflame’s Pure Nature Organic Aloe Vera & Arnica Extract Soothing Cleansing Pads – they are gentle on the skin.
Please test a small patch on the skin of your arm before applying on your face if you are using any of the above home remedies for the first time, and avoid any ingredient that you are allergic to.